Sparrow Health System
Positions Location: Lansing, MI
General Purpose of Job:
This position is responsible for the daily shift to shift activities of Central Sterile Supply Department in regards to quality assurance, conducts audits, education, and initiates corrective action and enhancement of quality.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Caregivers may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Knowledgeable in the duties required by SPD Technician
- Participates in the education and orientation of SPD staff.
- Assists in training of personnel for decontamination procedures, equipment operation, set up of instrument sets, utilizing the Instrument Tracking System, case cart preparation, sterilization and personnel competencies.
- Demonstrates and advises on principles of sterilization and procedures for area.
- Assess and provide feedback to leadership pertaining to CSS caregiver’s quality and other performance standards on a daily basis.
- Provides effective input in CSS caregiver evaluations.
- Keeps current in sterilization technology and practices. Looks for and advises on process improvements.
- Assigns and supervises all technician task duties to consistently meet department goals to provide safe, sterile, instruments and supplies in an efficient, accurate, professional manner.
- Conducts Audits for proper process.
- Maintains good interpersonal relationships with co-workers and all personnel, acting as a liaison and problem solver. Encourages good communication between managers, co-workers and customers. Encourages team building and excellent customer service.
- Monitors staff compliance in the instrument and supply areas. Duties in this area include sorting instruments and equipment arranging set-ups, storing equipment for future use and picking instruments and supplies for scheduled cases. Ensures cleanliness, functionality and integrity of sterilized products. Ensures good quality assurance for completeness.
- Records required information for monitoring every load of sterilized items to ensure all items were sterilized.
- Maintain knowledge of proper techniques for infection control. Monitors all personnel for compliance with aseptic techniques and safety standards in assigned areas.
- Endorses and implementation of the performance improvement program.
- Utilize extensive knowledge of instrumentation to provide assistance to user and staff.
- Generates and delivers quality data reports
- Trends data to lead process improvement and enhance quality outcomes.
- Certification in Sterile Processing through CBSPD or IAHCSMM (required within 18 months) and/or Certification in Surgical Technology
- Minimum of two years of surgical instrument processing or patient care equipment experience.
- Preferred – Quality Audit experience
- Preferred – Surgical Tech experience
- High School Diploma
- Preferred – Lean basic training
Specialized Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrates ability to use a keyboard as may be required to perform the essential duties of the job.
- Good communication skills.
- Good organizational skills and prioritizing.
- Good leadership skills.
- Basic computer skills up to and including Microsoft Access, Word, Power Point and Excel.
- Preferred – Extensive knowledge on proper process in decontamination, prep pak, and instrumentation.
Sparrow Health System an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: