Positions Location: Lansing, MI
General Purpose of Job:
As part of the Population Health Service Organization (PHSO) team, the Population Health Manager of Clinical Programming will play an integral role in leading ambulatory care management activities across the health system. The role will need to incorporate process improvement skills, analytics and best practice research to continuously evolve the program and meet the needs of Sparrow Care Network (SCN) and Sparrow Medical Group (SMG). Specifically, this position will provide leadership expertise in all aspects of the work, as well as develop, implement, direct and evaluate an operational plan that is in alignment with the overarching strategic goals. This role will be performed in close partnership with the Director of the PHSO and the Population Health Analyst.
In addition to the ambulatory care management work, this position will have oversight for all PHSO-related clinical programming, which includes the Navigation Hub at the Senior Health Clinic, the Risk Assessment Program (RAP), the Sparrow Preferred Post-Acute Network (SPPAN), and the SNFist Rounding Program. As the system continues to move towards value transformation efforts, additional programs may be added and priorities may change.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Caregivers may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Leads the continuous evaluation of care management activities to ensure alignment with value-based contracts and programs
- Creates data priorities and establishes dashboards for monitoring outcomes
- Ensures provision of quality services by maintaining appropriate staffing resources, staffing levels, competency of staff, and ongoing training/education
- Designs, implements and evaluates staffing coverage based upon established care management ratios to serve population needs, volumes, and acuity of patients
- Works collaboratively with internal and external resources, agencies, and physicians/members of the interdisciplinary team to meet customer needs and organizational goals
- Ensures that technology and software systems support clinical workflows, standards of practice and regulatory/accreditation requirements
- Defines departmental financial targets in alignment with those of the institution
- Uses LEAN concepts and process improvement tools to address potential organizational inefficiency/effectiveness
- Identifies annual performance improvement metrics (KPIs) and provides quarterly report-outs to the internal team, workgroups, and leadership committees
- Maintains and facilitates monthly meetings for all the ambulatory care managers to come together and talk through ongoing issues and concerns
- Works closely with the inpatient Case Managers to resolve care transition issues reported through the SPPAN collaborative, continually linking the cross-continuum opportunities
- Provides clinical support to the Senior Health Clinic when needed, related to both the Navigation Hub and the SNFist Rounding Program
- Consults when needed on the Risk Assessment Program (RAP), supporting the Ambulatory Clinical Documentation Improvement Specialist (A-CDIS) in auditing activitiesRemains agile and takes on additional projects as assigned by senior leadership
- Demonstrates knowledge and maintains and respects patient right to privacy by following the HIPAA Privacy and Security policies and procedures.
- Adheres to ICARE values and standards of behavior (Innovation, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, and Excellence).
- Role model behaviors that value the diversity of our caregivers, patients and customers and supports creating an environment that is inclusive, welcoming and respectful.
- Communicates with patients, families and customers using AIDET (Acknowledge, Introduce, Duration, Explanation, and Thank).
- Works in a safe manner and promptly reports any hazards identified in the work environment or related to assigned responsibilities.
- Adheres to policies and procedures designed to avoid, prevent and reduce the spread of communicable diseases.
- Experience in complex clinical arenas, which require in-depth clinical knowledge and independent functioning.
- Minimum of 3 years in leading a care management program or other closely related program.
- Experience with the Epic Care Management Module in Healthy Planet or leading ambulatory care program. Preferred.
- Registered Nurse (RN) with a Bachelor’s in a health-related field
- Licensure/Certification: Current State Board Nursing License
- Master’s Degree in clinical or health-related field. Preferred.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues at different levels of the business, up through the most senior levels within the enterprise
- Ability to establish and maintain a high level of credibility with the physicians, executive management and business stakeholders and clearly articulate complex messages
- Skilled in presenting technical reports as well as leading and facilitating large group discussions with senior leadership.
- Demonstrate ability to establish a consulting relationship with senior internal and external customers, especially physicians, and maintain their trust and support.
- Demonstrate ability to extract pertinent information and reach sound conclusions from a variety of data and strategic meetings.
- Strategic business focus and understanding; understanding of how projects are tied to business goals and objectives.
- Ability to create an open environment where conflicts as to project methods and priorities can be aired and resolved in an objective manner
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to clearly communicate vision, mission, goals, themes, and key priorities that guide and focus the efforts of others
- Able to coordinate and balance requirements between clinical outcomes and administrative activities.
- Strong collaboration and influence capabilities
- Exceptional organizational ability and the ability to achieve goals in the face of multiple pressures;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively present information to physicians and senior staff, and apply presentation skills at all levels of the organization.
- Good knowledge of business area activities.
- Flexible to lead in an ever-changing work environment; ability to work with minimal direction and oversight; ability to deal with ambiguity and uncertainty.
- Superior prioritization, organizational, and project management skills
- Ability to work independently; resourceful and proactive
- Clear and confident communicator internally and with members/external partners
- Excellent problem-solving skills, particularly ability to react appropriately ‘in the moment’
- Unyielding attention to detail
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: