Sparrow Health System
Supervisor of Inpatient Social Services
General Purpose of Job:
Plan, organize, supervise and evaluate the day-to-day operations of the social work and activities therapist teams as assigned by the Behavioral Health Nurse Manager and Director. Maintain a two-way flow of information to all key relationships. Provide direct patient care services in order to maximize the value, potential and satisfaction of our customers.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on aregular basis. Associates may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Supervises inpatient Social Workers, Discharge Planners and Therapeutic Services providers for both the Adult and Geriatric Inpatient units.
- Performs patient assessments and trains staff in competence of completing assessments.
- Participates in the development of treatment plans and assists staff in competence of developing treatment plans.
- Participates in daily patient treatment team meetings and morning huddles providing input on discharge planning and the need for therapeutic intervention to facilitate recovery-oriented treatment efforts.
- Communicates effectively with all Sparrow staff/caregivers, customers, community at large in a manner that supports the mission, goals and objectives of the Sparrow Health System.
- Empowers Social Services and Therapy Services front-line caregivers by delegating clear responsibility, facilitating an atmosphere promoting high performance, teamwork, excellent customer service and continued improvement in order to provide cost effective high quality care to the people of Mid Michigan.
- Assists with recruitment, orientation, training, performance appraisal, disciplinary action as needed of all individuals supervised.
- Participates in the development of the departmental operating and financial plans, ensuring compliance with established Departmental standards.
- Develops and maintains on a monthy basis Psychosocial, Psychoeducational and Activities based schedules for APU an GPU
- Develops a staffing schedule allowing for 8-5 coverage for all responsible departments, Monday through Sunday (7-days per week) to ensure needs of patients are met at all times.
- Participate in the Sparrow quality improvement program.
- Cooperates with support staff and other Sparrow Behavioral Health and Sparrow Health System departments in order to maximize the efficiency of non-clinical services such as the registering, scheduling, and billing of our patients.
- Seeks ways to continually improve the value of our services and maximize our customers’ behavioral health recovery potential by actively participating in activities such as inservices, staff meetings, team meetings, continuing education courses and patient conferences.
- Maximize customer satisfaction by treating our customers with respect and responding to their needs in a prompt, friendly, and courteous manner.
- Current Michigan License for Social Work, Independent Practice Level.
- Minimum 3 years experience in a leadership capacity.
- Minimum 2 years experience in related professional field.
- Graduated from an accredited program in Social Work at the Master Level.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrates excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates excellent organizational skills.
- Knowledge of Inpatient Behavioral Health Services preferred.
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: