Join Sparrow Health System and improve the health of the people in our communities by providing quality, compassionate care to everyone, every time. We are currently seeking experienced, caring and compassionate Medical Assistants to support our offices.
Responsible for the efficient and effective processing of patients through the clerical and clinical areas of the practice/clinic. Under the general direction of the physician or advanced practice provider, provides high quality, compassionate patient care.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential duties assigned on a regular basis. Caregivers may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Prepares patient for examination. Obtains vital signs and chief complaint. Appropriately documents information obtained.
- Performs laboratory and diagnostic testing.
- Answers, screens and triages telephone calls. Takes accurate messages and distributes to the appropriate personnel within the guidelines of the practice.
- Schedules tests and referral appointments for patients.
- Administers oral and injectable medication. Phones prescriptions to pharmacies.
- Engages and helps promote patient/family teaching as appropriate; and provides an educational environment for patients and patient families.
- Works gaps in care registries to help improve the quality of care.
- Maintains all logs and required checks (i.e., refrigerator temps, medications, oxygen, etc.)
- Maintains practice standards by participating in in-services, committees, etc. May assist in developing and implementing quality control and practice policies.
- Inventories, orders and restocks areas as necessary.
- Maintains and cleans equipment and environmental safety as required.
- Ability to provide clerical services and clinical services as required to maintain an effective practice flow. Cross trained to work both clerically and clinically.
- MA Certification preferred
- Specialty clinics may require six months specialty experience
- Relevant clinical experience within the past 5 years; if no clinical experience, completion of medical assistant program in past two years.
- Previous work experience in medical office setting preferred
- Experience with an EMR preferred
- High school diploma or GED
- Completion of an accredited medical assistant program, including an externship OR a minimum of 6 months of medical assistant experience in a clinical capacity may be considered
Specialized Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to provide care for patients, which is age specific to their physical and safety needs, psychosocial concerns and educational level.
- Necessary visual and auditory acuity required to monitor patient’s condition and operate department equipment
- Demonstrates a positive team attitude and has interpersonal skills to effectively and appropriately communicate with clients, their families, providers and co-workers.
- Ability to work in an EMR environment
Sparrow Invests in You
At Sparrow, we believe Caregivers are our most valued asset and investing in our Caregivers by offering highly competitive benefits is what distinguishes us as an employer of choice. Our comprehensive benefit options allow you to choose plans and coverage that fit your needs.
Medical Health, Dental and Vision
Sparrow offers a variety of health, dental and vision options providing different levels of coverage, including PPO, HSA, and HMO health options and comprehensive dental and vision choices. Though Caregiver cost sharing is minimal, Sparrow offers additional savings to eligible Caregivers to reduce health premiums.
Income Protection Plans
We recognize the value and peace of mind income protection plans provide our Caregivers and their families. At Sparrow, most benefit eligible Caregivers receive short-term and long-term disability benefits and basic life insurance at no cost, plus options to purchase additional coverage for yourself or your dependents.
Retirement Savings Plan
Sparrow provides a generous 401(k) savings plan with immediate enrollment upon hire and access to diverse fund options. An automatic deferral of 6% of pay will be deducted from each paycheck as soon as administratively possible following a 60-day opt-out period. Matching employer contributions and an annual lump sum contribution after meeting service requirements assists Caregivers in achieving their retirement savings goal.
The value of work life balance is inherent in Sparrow’s culture. Time-off accrual begins immediately for all benefit eligible Caregivers and time-off earned is varied based on your job class. Sparrow recognizes six major holidays. Generous leave of absence programs are additional sources of monetary benefits for eligible Caregivers.
Flexible Spending Accounts
To assist you in maximizing your earnings and reducing taxable income, we offer options for contributing to health care and dependent care spending accounts to pay for qualified medical and childcare expenses.
Sparrow offers Caregiver paid, optional benefits that provide additional financial protection with premiums payable through payroll deduction for benefit eligible Caregivers. Because the plans are voluntary, you can customize your coverage by choosing from a range of plans that offer a combination of benefits and features that meet your personal and family insurance needs. These plans include Accident, Critical Illness and Hospital Indemnity insurance.
We value service longevity and provide eligible Caregivers a tuition assistance program to promote learning and achievement of educational and career goals. Additional reimbursement is available for registered nurses to obtain a BSN, as well as on-site education classes and training.
In addition to our core benefits, we offer other benefits you may not expect, but that enhance your career and add value to your personal life such as:
- Fitness Centers
- Employee Assistance Program
- Medical and Pharmacy Discounts
- Vision and Hearing Aid Discounts
- Direct Deposit and e-Pay
- Discounted Michigan Athletic Club membership
- Mentoring Program
- As the region’s largest health system, Sparrow is committed to offering competitive, cost effective benefits that recruit and retain a workforce dedicated to our mission, vision and values.
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.